Moving away from home and living on campus is the first sense of independence for many first years (or “freshmen”). Even though you’re out of the house, you still want an environment that’s close to home. What better way to have your house away from home than by personalizing and decorating your dorm room? As a college student, you want to keep your budget low. So we’ve put together a guide on how to decorate your dorm room on a budget!
Shopping on a budget means ignoring the brand name stores that have expensive goods. Instead, when you go out dorm shopping, you’ll want to visit your local thrift stores, Dollar Tree, TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall’s, and Burlington to name but a few. These stores are perfect for your average college student, with amazing discounted prices for quality essentials. Decorating your room can help show your tastes, style, and even personality in different aspects – there’s no reason to feel restricted in what you want to do with it!
The College Dorm Reform
So where do you begin with “College Dorm Reform”?
- A roommate that has a similar style to you
- Rearrange the room to optimize space – clear the centre of the room and make sure you aren’t blocking off space accidentally
- Work with what you have – don’t constantly clear space for things you don’t yet own; rather, incorporate the stuff you do have in a way that makes you happy!
- Lighting – a desk lamp is essential for homework in a shared space, but you can also add fairy lights to make the room feel warmer, and the lighting feel less harsh
- Floor space – you want to get a wall-to-wall carpet.
- Wall space – pictures, tapestry, wall art, wallpaper, flag * (an essential for international students!)
- Bedding – the bed is the focal point of the room, so you want to invest in quality, vibrant bedding
- TV – you definitely want to be able to watch Netflix or turn on the big game in your leisure time
- Oil scents – keeps the room smelling fresh and inviting
- Ottomans – seating space for your guests, so you can have people over comfortably
- Storage baskets – to keep any stuff that doesn’t fit in your drawers and hanging closet space
- DIY projects – For example, a book holder out of old cereal boxes, or pins to hang up keys, hats, etc made out of cheap materials.
Make it Your Own Space
Whether it’s a minimalistic college dorm room with neutral colours, or a man cave gaming setup, ultimately you want to create a space that makes you feel comfortable and at home all while being inexpensive. The best way to treat your college dorm is like a project: you can start small and keep adding details to it. This way, you are also not spending a lot of money at one time.
Moving away from home for the first time can be a scary experience. But by turning your new living space into something that feels like home, you can make the experience fun and memorable! Decorating your dorm room on a budget is also a great way to make friends at the start of your college career, and you can create a room that can help others feel welcome too!
Remember, it’s always the perfect time to begin your journey towards studying at the university of your dreams. Sign up here for a free consultation with one of our recruitment experts. You could join over 300 student-athletes already placed in the USA, competing at the highest level and earning a world-class degree!